We finally took a vacation and no way was I leaving the fur babies behind. Since we were going to the beach, I decided to do some research first. The last thing I wanted was for my dogs to get sick while we were out of town and the vet so far away.
My vet checked both of my pets over and said both were ready to travel since they had all their shots and we were going by land. We made sure we had their food and water (the place we were going to used well water so we figured better to use bottled water). They had their own suitcase of paraphernalia! Here’s what I found we really needed:
- Food and water bowls – they feel better with their familiar bowls
- Fresh water – salt water is definitely bad for them if swallowed (which happens when they swim). Better have fresh water on hand to help them wash it out and keep them from dehydrating
- Water dispenser – this is a handy way of keeping sand away from the water.
- Towels – the fur babies get cold after swimming and the heat of the sun doesn’t always dry them fast enough. Like after a bath at home, rub them down.
- Shampoo/Soap – Be prepared to give them a bath as soon as you get back to the beach house or hotel and help them get the sand out.
- Beach toys – a stick is fine but a frisbee is always fun for a dog that loves to jump and catch and fetch.